Saturday, May 13, 2023

Monday Morning Memo 5/15/23...3 more to go!!!!!

     


I posted a Staff Appreciation image on our District Facebook page and wanted to share one parent's (who is also a Board member) comments: 

"It's difficult for me to put into words what the staff at D114 means to me.  For the past 8yrs all of you have been there right by our side through both the good and difficult times.  I think it's fair to say I don't know how we could have done it without you.  Your efforts have made and will continue to make a difference not only for my family but for the entire community as well.  We appreciate you each and everyday, thank you so much for all you do."

Couldn't. Agree. More!!!



 



For all those who do Medicaid billing, this is your reminder to do it! We need you to please stay on top of this!!! THANK YOU!!!! 😁

If you have no idea what this means...you don't have to do it! YAY!!!!







Once again our Track and Field coaches went above and beyond.  The meet at Johnsburg HS on Monday, in the rain, ended at 9:45pm.  We really appreciate how dedicated Laura, Oner, David and Bryan are to our TEAM!!!
and
Jillian and the entire ILP-A Crew for doing a great job helping create a positive and peaceful place for our staff to eat lunch and our birds to eat and bathe. 
and
Katy Gardner for representing the 6th grade team at last week’s board meeting. Thanks for giving up an evening to recognize our kids🦊💪!!
-From Jeff Sefcik (Stanton Principal)

To Stephanie Silverman for giving us bus paras a ride back to Lotus when our bus was delayed.
-From Colleen Robinson (Paraprofessional at Lotus)


Thank you to Georgette, Sarah Groebe and Oner for assisting me with contacting families that are Spanish speaking only to encourage them to sign their student up for summer school.  Sarah helped me in translating an email and then translating the response.  Georgette and Oner went the distance after speaking with me and contacted families via phone as well!! Thank you for the assist.  Love the group of educators I work with!!!  
-From Veronica Kretz (5th grade Teacher)

To all the D114 Paraprofessionals - I thank you for ALL you do everyday for the kids that you work with. I may not work with you directly, but I know you are all wonderful and work so hard. I was so grateful to drive some of you back to Lotus from Stanton on Tuesday after school and just wanted you to know how much I appreciate you and what you do for the kids in our district! 

and

In my job as a physical therapist I do get to work directly with a number of the paraprofessionals in D114 and I feel so lucky to get to work with them and see all the amazing things they do for the students we work so closely with:


Bobby and Jackie- You are two of the most incredible paraprofessionals a girl and her physical therapist could ask for. I can’t thank you enough for all you do and just wish I could take you with me or you could follow our friend because I know she and I will both miss you next year! Jackie- I love how you make everyday activities fun with a song, a smile, and some play. Bobby- I am amazed every time I come to Stanton and see all the new things you have created for our friend. You are so talented! Jackie and Bobby- I love seeing you interact with our friend and help her to participate in anything and everything that comes her way. You are amazing!

and

Colleen- You have been my right hand man ever since you started working with our little friend. You just do whatever I do even if I forget to tell you to do it and you seem to know just what I would recommend in a given situation. I am so grateful for your gentleness, kindness, and full care of our students. You are an amazing paraprofessional, mom, and grandma!! I am so lucky to have gotten to know you better this school year.

and

Melanie- Even though our little friend went to another school this year, I will never forget all that you did for her on a daily basis. She was lucky to have you and I just wish she was still here so we could all see what great things I am sure she is doing now. And this year, I thank you for always jumping in when I say- Melanie can you do…..I really appreciate that I can count on you and so can the kids!

and

Deb Marienau- I appreciate you so much because you have to step in and out of caring for our friends throughout the day and you always seem to know just when I need something or one of the kids needs something. Your job just might be the hardest because you are always covering for someone and moving from room to room in the school. I appreciate your watchful eye and know that without you others would not have the breaks they need and deserve. 

and

Chris Brown- I just love talking to you and learning from you. I enjoy our after school conversations and I also appreciate all you do on a daily basis and you always seem to come out smiling! Thank you for encouraging one of our friends to swing and climb on the playground and another of our friends to transition into music class on Mondays. Thank you for always being willing to help another student with navigating the stairs and the hallways even if it involves a bit of running. You juggle a lot on a daily basis and it is not unnoticed! 

and

Kelly- You just jumped right in and got to know the kids that you work with and have done an amazing job working with them this school year. You have such a kind way of telling your friends it is time to come with me and they really respond well to you- thank you for supporting them and me!

and

Chris Francke- I know we are not working directly with each other right now, but I do love seeing your smiling face in the hallways and how your love for the kids shows in all you do! Thank you for bringing your excitement to the students you work with and thank you for being an amazing substitute in some difficult situations.

and

Mike Fefferman- I have enjoyed every time we have a mutual friend to work with. You have taught me so many things! I just love that your superman and popcorn videos are now seen by all the students I work with both in D114 and in my other district- you are famous! Your videos are inspiring my students to get stronger so- Thank you for that! 

and

Tammy- Thank you for helping our friend on and off the bus everyday- your kindness, understanding, and gentle way is so appreciated! You are always willing to do what you can to help!

and

Cheryl- Thank you so much for working with me to get trained and being willing to be the substitute for Tammy when needed. You are so patient and kind when you are helping our friend and that goes such a long way! 

and

I know that was a lot so thank you for reading it and I hope I have not forgotten anyone! 

-From Stephanie Silverman (Physical Therapist)


Using Tuesday's Learning Target:  Write a note to someone I am grateful for:
A huge shout out to 8th grade students Caream and Elian along with Jill Becmer and for making the best daily videos.  It was great to laugh each day and celebrate all of D114 staff!  Thank you to the PTA, Kitchen Staff, Administration, and anyone who had any part in putting together such great treats and prizes throughout the week.  
You all made Staff Appreciation Week a Wonderful Week!
Life's A Beach.PNG 

cool-flamingo.jpg

-From Andrea DeMatteo (District Operations Coordinator)


Thank you to all that were involved in including gluten-free and allergy friendly goodies this week. Small gestures like that make a big difference and help us feel included. 
and
Great job to Mindy Auld who finished her full days student teaching this week. Your passion for teaching and our students is very evident! 
and

Congratulations and all the kudos for Christine Spittler who has absolutely exceeded our expectations as a mid-year teammate. I speak for the whole second-grade team when I say we can't wait to see you thrive in 4th grade next year!
-From Emily Reczek (2nd grade Teacher)


To Georgette Franco for all your help with Staff Appreciation Week. We also couldn't have done it without the teams in both Kitchens, Jill Becmer, our Administrators, Kristie Paul, and Maddie Mercado. 
and
To Cheryl Schuck, Jamie Smeigh, and Oner Medrano for being recognized at the Lake County Educator of the Year event as ROCK STAR paraprofessionals! Thank you also to Erin Connolly Jordt for coming along and to Kendra Smeigh for being there for your hubby. Jeff Sefcik and Rachelle Peters--thank YOU for coming, too!
and
Kudos to Christine Spittler for stepping into a maternity leave and CRUSHING IT! I couldn't be happier to see you joining the 4th grade team next year. What a true blessing!!!!!
--From Heather 😘


Please send me your kudos for colleagues each week! I'll happily post them in this section!




Here's a link to all the ideas gathered for the HOW and WHY of the Friz 5...I'll keep adding as great ideas come forward. 


Jeff Sefcik did an amazing interview for the IPA on Stanton's Community Building process and the PGD. Check it out by clicking here! Thanks, Jeff, for representing Stanton and D114!








 
OPEN ENROLLMENT FOR 23-24 INSURANCE

This year we will be hosting an open enrollment meeting to introduce a new medical plan available to staff. Representatives from Blue Cross Blue Shield and NIHIP will be there to help with any health insurance questions you may have. Details below:

Open Enrollment Meeting on Wednesday, 5/17
Lotus at 1:00 pm -  Cafeteria
Stanton at 2:30 pm - Cafeteria
All staff are expected to attend an open enrollment meeting.


New Board Members
On Tuesday night, we were excited to welcome Liz Curatolo and Joe Bongiovani to the Board of Education! 
They replace Brian Hutchinson and Andy Martin, who opted not to run for the Board again. 




23-24 STIPEND TIME!!!

Here's a link to the 23-24 Stipend folder!!!! Looking so forward to see who's interested in doing what and to new club ideas!!!!

Please reach out to any Stipend Committee member with questions or input:
Maureen DeVoss
Kim VanHoorelbeke
Amber Mysliwiec
Rachelle Peters
Heather Friziellie




Summer Curriculum Work

Hello!!! Just reminding you that it's that time of year...when I ask for your ideas and proposals for summer curriculum work!  THANK YOU to the teams who have already sent in ideas! WOW....amazing!!!!! 

Here's WHAT:


Summer Curriculum Writing:

  • What do YOU want to work on this summer? 


Example Projects:

*Using Flash Back (will be created during upcoming CTT time) to plan to Flash Forward for next year

*SST Planning

*Fencepost work, including 3-2-1 unit designs and 15 day challenge plans

*UFLI training

*Stuff YOU want to work on!

Here's How:


Email Heather:

  • Name(s)

  • Purpose of the work/intended outcomes

  • Proposed number of hours

  • Proposed schedule and plan for work


Notes:

Work must be completed onsite.

Artifacts of the work must be shared with Heather.

Timesheets must be completed, and pay rate is $34 per hour.


Looking forward to seeing your great ideas! Please send any questions my way!


2023-24 Budget Requests--Sending in a separate email as well!

Here is a document to use if you have specific budget requests for the 2023-24 school year. This DOES NOT include your supply money--that's a whole different thing. 🙂 If you have already submitted a request, you DO NOT NEED TO RESUBMIT. I'd appreciate receiving all requests by Friday, June 4. If you need more time, please let me know. 

As always, we'll do our best to meet the students' needs in the most fiscally responsible ways. 

When you use the document, remember...
PLEASE REMEMBER TO SELECT "FILE", THEN "MAKE A COPY".
1. Upon opening this document, select "File" and "Make a copy". Rename your new document using the following format: Date-Last Name-Vendor ex: 050721-Smith-Lakeshore.

2. Required fields are in yellow. Do not add columns or tally fields. One vendor per form, please. Do not use tabs.

3. When complete, share the doc with heather.friziellie@foxlake114.orgmary.taylor@foxlake114.org, and andrea.dematteo@foxlake114.org



Coursework Hours!!!
Here's a GREAT and inexpensive way to get additional coursework hours! Please remember that any and all coursework reimbursement requests or lane changes MUST be submitted by June 30!














Thanks to everyone for your feedback! Erica and Stephanie are sending out Lotus- and Stanton-specific supports, but I'll also post the link to a folder containing them all here so they are easy to find, everyone can see everything, and you're reminded to check them out! 





We hope all of the EAFL moms had an amazing Mother’s Day!

**We are still looking for a couple of people to organize the end of the year party.  This would include finding a venue and picking out some menu items for the District staff. We have money budgeted for this even and would love to be able to get everyone together before we leave for summer. If you are interested, please contact any  EAFL board member. Grab a friend and let’s start planning! 

As you head into summer and planning for trips and fun activities, don’t forget to check out the deals available to members atput your membership to work to help you save some money! 

Have a wonderful week! 








May 17--Open Enrollment meetings at both sites for 23-24 Insurance (more info to come)

Eat Out 2 Help Out PTA Fundraiser
 
Where: Wendy's Fox Lake
When: Wednesday, May 17th, 2023
Time: ALL DAY
Your child(s) will be receiving a sheet of vouchers from their teacher a few days before the event. 
Please use the vouchers at the time of purchase in order for the PTA to receive 20% of all purchases. They MUST have the vouchers.
*You can also find a sheet attached to the email.
 
One per family (4 on the sheet). Please share with family and friends. 
This event is for all!
We appreciate your support!!

File attachments:
#506 FOX LAKE SCHOOL DISTRICT 114 PTA 7120 MAY 2023.pdf










PBIS World--This site is awesome for identifying strategies to use to support challenging behaviors! 


Link to D114 Business Office Share Folder

*check here for documents most frequently used/requested

Please let Heather know of suggestions for any documents to add to this

folder!


D114 Family Update

Work Order Request


Technology Support Request




Try to find ways to LAUGH this week...here's why:






Let's all seek to find moments that matter every day!
-Heather 💝