Sunday, February 9, 2020

Week 24--VOTING IS OPEN!




Image result for shout out

Shout out to our MVP - Christine Spittler! She always goes above and beyond to assist us in anyway that she can. Watching the relationship she builds with students is precious & priceless. We love working with you & don't know what we would do without you!!! 
-From the Third Grade Team

Natalie, Matt, and Lynn, you guys have been nothing but supportive! Thank you for always checking in with me, supporting the students with me, and allowing me to do my job by constantly stepping in and helping with students. This place would not run without each of you!
and
Molly Monk, thank you for always brainstorming with me, working alongside me to help create the best interventions for students and sometimes doing it all at the last minute. You rock!  
and
Theresa Kovach, what can I say that I haven't already told you? You are amazing! What you handle on a daily basis in your classroom is nothing short of a miracle. You constantly have a smile on your face and truly care about my well-being. Thank you. 
and
Kelly Roland, Theresa Kovach, and Stephanie Brual, thank you for always being flexible and letting me take students whenever possible. The third grade team is amazing! You guys rock at data collection, reporting concerns to me, and being amazing teachers! (Christine Spittler-this includes you!) Kelly, thank you for your friendly reminders! Without them, I'm not sure what I would miss! :) Thank you for always reminding me, to take care of me!
and
Chris Powers, thank you for continuing to advocate for our students, collaborate with me, and trusting me! You are appreciated!
and
EC Team - You guys are great! You are so flexible, always thinking of new ways to serve our students, and go above and beyond! Mary, you are nothing short of amazing! Rachel, you came in and hit the ground running. You've done so much for our kids in such a short period of time. 
and
Fiona, what would I do without you?!?!?! You are my sounding board and my voice of reason. You keep me sane when I'm about to go off the deep end and you do it with such ease. I look up to you and value all your insight and wisdom.
and
Kim Mack, I am so grateful to have you as my partner! You have already been such a help and asset to the team. I can't wait to see what the rest of this year has in store!
and
Kim V, thank you SO much for all the books you ordered that are social-emotional in nature. You are always willing to help and do a great job with CICO and all things SWIS! 
and
Cathy and Erica, you guys are great! Your dedication to the students and your flexibility to meet the needs of everyone is amazing. Your jobs are not easy, but you perform them with poise. Thank you for always advocating for what is best for our students!
and
Kindergarten team, you are some of the hardest working ladies in the business! You have MANY different needs to meet on a daily basis. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of working with you and always trusting me to try anything I throw your way!
and
Office staff, I could not function without you! You are ALWAYS willing to help in ANY way possible. I cannot even begin to thank you for all the things you do!
and
Keli S., you have been a great mentor. Thank you for listening to my struggles and validating me all the time!
and
Alana, thank you for always lending a listening ear, encouraging me and giving me tips to continue my new way of healthy eating, and helping me to learn the ropes of Lotus!
and
Cindy, you are a ray of sunshine! No matter how many evals you have on your plate, you always take time to say hello, bake us something sweet, and do it all with a smile on your face. You've been great to brainstorm with and bounce ideas off of. 
and
Amber M., Lisa H., and Gayle M., thank you for allowing students to pick extra PE and/or Art passes as a social work reward. The kids love those options! Amber, it's been great to have a little time to talk and get to know one another better! Gayle and Amber you've both come to my rescue to help out with students in crisis. I greatly appreciate it!
and
All Lotus staff, it's been a whirlwind of a year so far, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've worked with just about everyone in one capacity or another and you've all made it great! Thank you for everything you do. I truly am appreciative!
-From Jessica Urban

Matt Peters for constant support and decision making to benefit student needs
and
Gena Kvist for assistance with a student in need 
and
Maria Allen for being extremely flexible with her schedule and helping out when needed
and
Tiffany Tardio for presenting calendar options at staff meeting
and
Erica Barraza, Maureen DeVoss and Amanda Lorenz for sharing Growth Mindset for the months mantra with encouragement to try strategies 
-From Natalie Udstuen


Thank you Natalie and Matt for prompt assistance with students having a hard time and providing extra support whenever possible, I am grateful.
and
Thank you Cathy for putting action to intervention concerns in K.  Your follow-through and responsiveness is dependable, timely and very much appreciated!
and
Thank you to our Superhero Office staff for wearing all the hats.... and Colleen for making sure all the little hats are lice-free!!  ;-)
-From Tiffany Tardio Weber

THANK YOU to my sixth grade team for covering the everyday stuff I've been missing the last two weeks.
Liz, Barb, Shar and anyone else who covered my math class, I'm grateful for the time you gave up to cover for me!
Keli, without you, I wouldn't have pulled off all the meetings, paperwork and IEPs that just had to happen while I was down and out.  Cindy, I know you had a hand in setting up future meetings too!
Ashley, Fred and Kate, thank you for attending all the meetings I throw your way and for the insight you give.
HUGE thanks to Katy Gardner for guiding my math class and lesson plans in the right direction!  I appreciate the updates!
Cathy, thanks for completing the benchmarking for me!
Kate W,  I appreciate you checking in and offering to help!
Jeff, thanks for the spot on GIF that made me laugh out loud and Rachelle I appreciate your efforts in finding subs for me.
Thank you EVERYONE from D114 for the beautiful flowers that put a smile on my face, and for the thoughts and kind words while I've been gone!
~ From Lisa Shannon

I would like to give a shout out to Erica Barraza and Amanda Lorenz.  Erica taught my math lesson so I could watch Amanda using the ”Fan and Pick” Kagan strategy with her kiddos.  

-From Stephanie Brual

The entire third grade team! For checking in, asking if assistance is needed and simply being first to reply and check in when communications goes out!  Stephanie Brual should be featured on a poster for teamwork! She is amazing!  
and
Special thanks to Kelly Roland for always checking our mental health needs. How thoughtful that she will just stop in to ask simply, “How did the day go? Or What strategies did use use today and on who?” Her support and ideas are invaluable! 
and
Christine Spittler for always walking in at the right moments and working with our most challenged. Christine is blessed with character traits of a saint and therefore, I am blessed that she is in my classroom and life. 
and
Special shout out to Chris Powers, for going above and beyond the senses!  When behaviors get difficult, sticky or stinky, you come to the rescue. Thank you, Thank you! 
Kim V. Thanks for all you are doing to support the third grade battle!  You are so accommodating, truly a prime example of customer service, going above and beyond for the third grade team. 
and
Victoria M. Thank you for being so flexible with our scheduling. It is so great that you jump right in and take groups as needed, without hesitation! You are appreciated! 
and
Lisa Huck for working with my class, not just getting them physically in shape, but shaping their characters. Last weeks “win” happened because you are teaching these young people to have respectable character traits and that a win for some is a win for all!  Thank you. Also, thank you for taking the extra time to stop in during second step to reward that kind behavior! You gave us plenty to think about and discuss. Thanks!
-From Theresa Kovach

It has been a busy week and I am wanting to thank some special folks for their extra assistance this week.
Linda R. Cannot thank you enough for your willingness to help out whenever we need you and for insisting I accept the assistance ;)
Russ Thanks for always coming to the rescue when we need help cleaning up after our little ones who have gotten sick
Matt P. For sprinting after a school bus.
Tiffany T-W and Sami H----Cannot express my thanks enough for taking the time to listen when I need an ear . I am very appreciative that you both took the time to brainstorm how I can more effectively manage my centers!
Brittany M and Becca S---Thanks for organizing the purchase of the awesome "Kindness" shirts!
and...
Also, can we send out some extra love and prayers to the Gumm Family!
-From Nicole Mild

To Karen Brnot for spending her last two Friday nights with the NJHS students as they completed their Legacy Project. 
-From Jeff Sefcik

Anyone can give a SHOUT OUT to anyone, so please send those positive notes to me and I'll publish each Monday! 

Discipline Corner

 Our kids face challenges and therefore can be challenging. 



Here's a new infographic...

Here's an article that I think is AWESOME for strategies...
20 Tips to Help De-Escalate with Anxious or Defiant Students

This is a great article...take a look, and I'd love to know your thoughts! Please shoot me an email!

Image result for updates

REFERENDUM UPDATE
I'll be doing a short "Referendum 101" session with everyone in the morning on Friday's Institute Day just to make sure we are all clear on what is happening, why it's happening, and the efforts that are going on to help get this done. 

I'll send out the full Institute Day schedule later this week so everyone is clear on the plan. No major changes from what was presented at your agenda meetings, though! Looking forward to a great day of learning, team time, and self-care!


TOSA Corner

Image result for let's do this
iReady Usage Goal = 80% or our students receive 30-49 minutes per week
iReady Proficiency Goal= 80% of our students receive 70% or higher on their lessons



We still need a lot of help with canvassing for the referendum and are hoping everyone can chip in and help with a date or two! We have a goal of going to 2,500 homes over the course of four Saturdays, so we really need a lot of help to make this happen!

Volunteers will be going door-to-door with a partner, to homes that have been screened by the IEA as "likely voters" in the March 17th election. Prior to canvassing, we will be giving out information and instructions for canvassing. Volunteers shouldn't feel like they need to know all the ins and outs of the referendum, there will be a script to follow and handouts to help you! 

As a thank you to our members who volunteer, there will be a $25 gift card raffled off to the location of your choice on each of the 4 dates! 

Please sign-up HERE... and THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! 

Please let Melissa Jakstas or any EAFL board member know if you have any questions about the canvassing... we are happy to tell you more about it!

Melissa Jakstas, President
Maureen DeVoss, Vice President for Certified Staff
Chris Brown, Vice President for Non-Certified Staff
Katy Gardner, Treasurer
Betty Cwiak, Secretary
Cathy Jawnyj, Region Representative
Kendra Smeigh, Stanton School Representative
Tiffany Tardio Weber, Lotus School Representative


Image result for self care


Remember the January Fitness Challenge!!!!



6. Celebrate Every Victory // Life is too short to not celebrate every victory that you have – big or small. Friend, you need to celebrate yourself! Celebrating your accomplishments and taking the time to acknowledge who you are and how far you’ve come is immensely important for happy and healthy self-care. Remember that celebrating yourself ≠ comparing your journey to someone else’s. Own your journey and celebrate it!


Heather's Reflection Question:

Check out the article  linked above! How do you celebrate YOU????


Image result for helpful links

D114 Friday Facts--Blog sent to all families each Friday--let me know if you ever have something you'd like added. Thanks to Sue Pinkawa and Jill Becmer for helping me with this each week!

*check here for documents most frequently used/requested
Please let Heather know of suggestions for any documents to add to this
folder!



Blue Cross Blue Shield:

SEL Pacing Guides
Stanton:


Image result for mark your calendar


Friday, February 14--Institute Day!!
Tuesday, February 18--Board of Education Meeting
TENTATIVE Saturday, March 7--RD Sayles Foundation Spring Fundraising Event (more info to come)







Have a truly amazing week! Thank you for all you do!

Heather