Sunday, March 15, 2020

March 16, 2020 Memo




Image result for shout out

To Erica Barraza and Abbey Kadera for all your help with the remote learning packets. 

and

To Maureen Koenig for always being a rock star.

and

To Maureen DeVoss for being there when we need you.

and

To David Roat for setting up an amazing Remote Learning page and knowing what we 

need on it before we even do! 

and

To Don Ukleja for all your help and assistance in getting cleaning plans ready to go. 

To Tim Douglas, Eddie Villarreal, Kent Jorgensen, and Linda Rasmussen for stepping 

up when we need you to!

and

To Melissa Jakstas for collaborating with me in all things referendum/COVID/D114

related. I appreciate your perspective and leadership!!!

and

To my entire D114 family for being simply amazing! I appreciate you more than you

know! 

-From Heather

Kudos to Jessica Lanners for being available on the fly to assist with a student issue. Also, major thank you for coming into the classroom and demonstrating proper hand washing and the importance of good hygiene. The presentation was very beneficial to us all and was greatly appreciated. You rock! 
-From Kelly Roland


Thank you Karen Simon for your patience and humor while
setting up a new schedule for one of our children.  
You're a gem!
-From Andrea DeMatteo

Thank you Jen Wenc for opening up your classroom to all of my clubs!! 
and
Thank you Sue, Paula, and Colleen for all you do!! Sue, thank you for dealing with all of my phone calls and activities. Thank you Paula for helping with all my orders and handling my crazy ideas and Colleen for helping all my kiddos who get hurt during PE!
-From Amber Mysliwiec

A BIG shoutout to Deb Marineau for all her hard work for the Kindergarten team! And for being your elves driving force!!! You are appreciated!!!!!!
-From Cheryl Schuck

Kudos to Liz Puhr for always being on the ball with anything SpEd related!  Your attention to detail does not go unnoticed!
-From Keli Swierczek

Thank you, Maureen Koenig, for always being so on top of it! Your efficiency and organization is so appreciated! Teach me your ways!
and
Thank you, Abbey Kadera, for helping us translate the remote learning packets! You are such a huge asset to our district and I appreciate you!
and
Thank you, Cathy Jawnyj, for taking the time to proofread all the remote learning cover pages. You are a life-saver! 
and
I know I have said this before but I will say it again, Melissa Jakstas, you an EXCEPTIONAL leader and truly one of a kind! I would scream it from the rooftops if people didn't think I was crazy (well, even more crazy). You are loved and appreciated! 
-From Erica Barraza


Anyone can give a SHOUT OUT to anyone, so please send those positive notes to me and I'll publish each Monday! 

Discipline Corner

 Our kids face challenges and therefore can be challenging. 


During our closure, think of this...


Image result for updates

COVID-19 UPDATE
Info is coming fast and furious. To try to keep up and keep everyone current, I'm making a
blog called the D114 Daily Vitamin. This will be a quick daily post to keep us all connected and
current. This will replace the FAQ document--that just can't meet our needs at this point. 
If you find great resources, have a happy/funny
meme to share, or a kudo/good news to share out, please email me and I'll include it. Please
be flexible and patient with me on this--I'm trying to play the game while the rules change minute
by minute.

I'll also have a daily update for families--it will feature lots of the same info, but if you find a great
resource, idea, meme, or link for families, please send to me and I'll include.

Both pages are linked here:

D114 Daily Vitamin
I'll do my best to post at a consistent-ish time if I can find one :)

D114 Daily Family Update
Will post at the end of each day with any info key for the next day...for
now and we'll see how it works.

REFERENDUM UPDATE
 Even as crazy as the world is, Tuesday is still Election Day! We still need you to make calls to get our parents out to vote...we are going to need every single vote. The final canvass of votes is still scheduled for 4/2/20. I'll share any updates we get!
BOARD MEETING UPDATE
There have been no changes in requirements within the Open Meetings Act, so the March meeting set for Tuesday at 7PM is still on. We will do "must do" items and keep it short. 

TOSA Corner
Good morning all! 

Instead of sending out your weekly TOSA Corner, I thought I'd send out a daily reflection prompt. I know we are all home wondering the same things- What are our kids doing? Have they eaten today? Are they home alone? Has anyone spoken kindly to them today? Have they become babysitters for their siblings? Are they okay? The not knowing can be so hard but I encourage you to focus on the things within your control- your thoughts, your choices, your practice. 

With that said, I am a firm believer in the power of reflection. It is what transforms education and as Pete Hall says, "The more reflective, the more effective." I also know that life gets so busy that we often forget to stop, breathe, and reflect on what is working and isn't working in our classrooms. This next week is the perfect opportunity to just that! 

Take a few moments to think about the following prompt:

Reflective practioners have awareness of their instructional realities. How aware am I of my students, the content, and pedagogy? Teachers with awareness are knowledgeable about each and every student- academic levels, interests, instructional needs, learning profiles. Danielson describes awareness as an attribute that allows a teacher to comphrensively"see" what's going on in the classroom and in all measures of learning. 

Here are some questions to help you frame this prompt: 

To what extent has your professional preparation and experience addressed the value of self-reflection? To what extent are you aware of your own reflective tendencies, habits, behaviors, and thoughts?

Feel free to reply all, privately, or share your thoughts with a colleague. 

Take care of yourself and your loved ones this week ❤
-Erica



The Coronavirus pandemic has created much uncertainty for us all. Please know that we have been in close communication with administration to ensure we are doing the best we can in the given circumstances for each other, our students, and our community. Please continue to reach out with questions and concerns, but please also understand that the answer may be, "we don't know yet." We will continue to work through these unprecedented events in a timely manner, and as more information becomes available. Thank you in advance for your understanding and professionalism! ❤


Certified staff:
Please be sure you are making your assigned calls related to the referendum on Sunday, March 15th and/or Monday, March 16th. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to Melissa Jakstas ASAP!

Melissa Jakstas, President
Maureen DeVoss, Vice President for Certified Staff
Chris Brown, Vice President for Non-Certified Staff
Katy Gardner, Treasurer
Betty Cwiak, Secretary
Cathy Jawnyj, Region Representative
Kendra Smeigh, Stanton School Representative
Tiffany Tardio Weber, Lotus School Representative


Image result for self care



I've linked two articles below regarding the emotional toll that this can take on educators and children. I found them to contain good advice as we move in a very different direction for awhile. Please be sure to take care of yourself!



Heather's Question
How will you take care of YOU during a crazy time?


Image result for helpful links

2/14/20 Institute Day Presentations

D114 Friday Facts--Blog sent to all families each Friday--let me know if you ever have something you'd like added. Thanks to Sue Pinkawa and Jill Becmer for helping me with this each week!

*check here for documents most frequently used/requested
Please let Heather know of suggestions for any documents to add to this
folder!



Blue Cross Blue Shield:

SEL Pacing Guides
Stanton:


Image result for mark your calendar

Tuesday, March 17---ELECTION DAY!!!! and Board of Education Meeting


We WILL make it through this! One team...all in!
Heather